Math Formula Support Page
How to reach our numbers!
Click images for larger
If you find any mistakes here, please let us know.
Engine air intake Flow meter Supporting Math
1. piston displacement = pie*r*r*h = 3.14*1.5*1.5*2 = 14.1 cubic-inch per piston
2. 4-stroke engine intake cu-ft/min = cid*3000/12/12/12/2 = 28.2*3000/12/12/12/2 = 24.479 cubic-feet per minute. With breathing effeciency of 85%, 0.85*24.479 = 20.80 cu-ft/min
3. one-inch diameter intake port has (3.14*.5*.5)/12/12 = 0.005451 sq/ft of area.
4. flow cu-ft/sec-cube = area sq-ft * Velocity ft/sec
Velocity ft/sec = flow rate (cu-ft/sec-cube) divided by (area sq/ft)
V = 20.8 / 0.005451 = 3815 ft/min
5. Average intake flow rate conversions - 3815 ft/min = 3815/60 ft/sec
= 63.59 ft/sec
6. Peak air slugs will be much greater. We will try to using a handheld anemometer mounted in the air intake duct work, but the peak air flow slugs may exceed its capability.
If you would like to provide additional information or recommend suggestions for this co-op project, or join this co-op project,
contact Lynn and let him know what you would like to contribute.
© 2009 by Lynn W. Graves